“The ministry of deacon as set forth in Scripture is one of compassion, witness, and service, sharing in the redeeming love of Jesus Christ for the poor, the hungry, the sick, the lost, the friendless, the oppressed, those burdened by unjust policies or structures, or anyone in distress. Persons of spiritual character, honest repute, exemplary lives, brotherly and sisterly love, sincere compassion, and sound judgment should be chosen for this ministry.” (G-2.020)
(from The Constitution of the Presbyterian Church in the Book of Order)
We encourage the congregation and community to prayerfully consider helping in one (or many) of the Deacons’ ministries. Some of the programs under the Deacon umbrella are the following:
- Friends as Family Meals - involves organizing, set-up or clean-up for meals such as Easter Brunch, Thanksgiving
lunch and Christmas lunch
- Communion Preparation - procuring bread and juice, cutting bread, putting on plates/trays, filling communion
chalices/cups, setting up communion table, clean up
- Prime Time Ministry - The Mission of Prime Time Ministry is to provide a worship service with communion once a month to: (1) an assisted living facility, and (2) a nursing home. This ministry is open to anyone interested in sharing God’s love with others. Each service provides singing, Scripture readings, a brief sermon/message, communion and fellowship for the residents. We meet 10:00 AM for 30 to 40 minutes once a month each at the two facilities we are currently serving: Brookdale of Western Hills and Cornerstone Gardens. Retired ordained Presbyterian ministers assist with the worship services. Grace Presbyterian Church has offered this ministry to the community since 2002.
- Bereavement Receptions- preparing finger food in advance, set-up, preparing a room for the family, serving, clean up
- Caring Casseroles- preparing casseroles for anyone in need of a meal
- Meals in Crisis - providing meals during a member emergency
- Visitation of Homebound Members - keeping homebound members connected to the GPC community
- Rides to church functions - providing rides to members who not longer drive and would like to attend GPC
The Deacon ministry is very rewarding and provides meaning in the lives of our members. The Deacon’s of GPC would love for you to prayerfully consider if you are being called to help in one/some/or all of these ministries. If you would like to sign-up to be involved in serving in one of these areas of ministry, please email us. If you have any questions about any of the Deacon ministries, please feel free to contact any Deacon to learn about more ways to be Christ’s hands and feet to your fellow brothers and sisters at GPC (see list)!